RPGDXThe center of Indie-RPG gaming
Not logged in. [log in] [register]

View previous topic - View next topic  
RampantCoyote
Demon Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Frayed Knights on Greenlight [quote]

Don't think there's much hope of me getting on Steam, but here it is:

Frayed Knights on Steam Greenlight
Scholar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: [quote]

Awesome haha, already favorited, upvoted, and commented. :D
RampantCoyote
Demon Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: [quote]

Thanks a bunch! Again, doubtful it will make much difference about anything, but I figure it's one more promotion avenue.
Dragonmaster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: [quote]

They are criticizing you over the models and textures...
Nodtveidt
Demon Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: [quote]

"They" are just a few voices out of the dozens already posted. Most people love the game. But hey, since we're pointing out the bleeding obvious here...
Dragonmaster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: [quote]

Nodtveidt wrote:
"They" are just a few voices out of the dozens already posted. Most people love the game. But hey, since we're pointing out the bleeding obvious here...

I agree that the game is as good as many others on there. However, I get the impression that this is an "American Idol"-type setup, where the crowd may sway a judge, but does not in itself have the ability to rule. My concern is that the people who are voting against may have sway (this is Valve, after all), and that the texture inconsistency may be off-putting enough to erk the panel's "Simon".

However if RC gets on, it'll probably be very, very worth it to him, so it might be worth the effort to do a little touching up, because it looks like that's their only real gripe.

But reading up on it, I'm getting the impression that this is more a publicity ploy for Valve than anything else. They say they are "listening to the people", but it's a comparative judgment so there is probably no way to hold them to this. Better advertised games will prevail over those with much less advertising. At the end of the day, Steam is an insider's game that keeps power in the hands of the big guys and away from the little guys. Thinking about it, this is a very clever setup in that the Steam judges have managed to take the heat completely off them, and instead turn the community's factions against each other.

Last edited by tcaudilllg on Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:44 am; edited 1 time in total
BadMrBox
Bringer of Apocalypse

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject: [quote]

I know about Frayed Knights, Smiles and rijn the specpyre in... manor of the damned trying to get into Steam. I hope that they all make it but I doubt any of them will because people are... well, retarded.
Still, Frayed Knights seems to get rather nice comments and thats great.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: [quote]

BadMrBox wrote:
I hope that they all make it but I doubt any of them will because people are... well, retarded.

That's a good way to put it.
RampantCoyote
Demon Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:03 am    Post subject: [quote]

If they aren't uber-obnoxious trolls I let the comments stand, because I don't think it's worth dealing with possible negative fallout if people get upset about me deleting any criticism.

And basically - while some of it is pretty stupid, the criticism is valid. I mean, if I were doing a game that wasn't first-person 3D, with a much more limited scope, with repetitive geometry and only a few monsters & locations, sure. I could spend the time and money on attention to detail. It's a case of making a bigger game that's a bit more rough around the edges, or a much smaller game with more attention to detail.

I know - I know - what people want (and many Steam denizens demand) is "all of the above" - which basically means the budget goes through the roof.

Which is where we get in mainstream games - smaller, more detailed worlds with budgets that would fund some third-world nations.

I could (and still might) get into such a discussion in the comments section, but it's like the old saying about wrestling in the mud with a pig - you are both going to get filthy by the time it's over, but the pig will enjoy it.
Dragonmaster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: [quote]

Well to be fair, most environments even in modern AAA games aren't that detailed. I think their gripe is that some textures are scaled more than others. It's not something that I'd notice, personally. Model quality is another story, however... I likes me those detailed models. On the other hand, I know how hard it is to design those things.. to the point that I wouldn't bother, 'cause most people are fine with sprite based monster graphics in 2D games (so long as they are high res). 3D models are one of those things where unless you're gonna put a lot of time into them, you'd might as well not do them at all.

The only good I see in discussing all this with your critics is to point out that the lack of cheap resources is hobbling indie efforts as a whole. However, that won't make you many friends at Valve....

I agree though that the game is done and it's too late to send out updates now. However it might not be too late to say, port to iOS, or OUYA.
RampantCoyote
Demon Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:27 am    Post subject: [quote]

Can't with the old engine. But there's a chance the original could get ported to the new engine, which would make the Ouya, iOS, and other platforms much more achievable. As well as fix a lot of engine-rooted problems with the original game.

Yeah, sometimes I feel like the Ed Wood of gaming. Minus the dressing in drag. As far as you know. :)
Dragonmaster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: [quote]

Doing iOS and others would greatly enhance the profile of your game. I'd do it.
trexrell
I wanna be a ballerina!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:18 am    Post subject: [quote]

I would play this it really looks fun. And the enemies are very detailed.

Jump to: