RPGDXThe center of Indie-RPG gaming
Not logged in. [log in] [register]

View previous topic - View next topic  
tcaudilllg
Dragonmaster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: My goodness, HTML5 CANVAS is slow. [quote]

I wonder why?

It takes like 25 seconds to render 16,384 32x32 tiles on my P4 3.0 Ghz.

Part of the reason may be that I'm using an interpreted tile format (although all that work should be completed in less than a second on a 3 Ghz machine), but I think another reason may be an internal bottleneck in Firefox itself. Of course I have to create a separate image for each tile (to load it in), but those images aren't rendered.

I wonder if there's a useless delay in between CANVAS draws? Because I'm painting each tile separately.
BDZ
Slightly Deformed Faerie Princess

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: [quote]

A 3.0 Ghz P4 is horribly outdated hardware. You shouldn't make sweeping statements about the performance of modern technologies when you are testing them on horribly outdated hardware.
Nodtveidt
Demon Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: [quote]

Shouldn't modern technologies be faster?
Dragonmaster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: [quote]

It's pretty slow on my cousin's comp too, and while I forget what exactly it is (it's Vista era), it doesn't have issues running any game out there.

The real problem with HTML5's poor performance is that it can't pass muster on a phone. 3.0 ghz may be slow but it's like a speed demon compared to what's running on today's Droids. If you can't compete on the mobile market you don't have anything.
XMark
Guitar playin' black mage

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: [quote]

It's all about browser implementation. Earlier browsers were extremely inefficient in their canvas interpretations, but I think the newest version of every browser is now using hardware acceleration and the situation is much better, though there is still a lot of room left for improvement. Firefox seems to be the best browser for HTML5 Canvas rendering speed at the moment. Chrome had held the lead in Canvas speed for quite a while until recently.

I've even seen my HTML5 games running full speed on Firefox's mobile version on my Galaxy S4 (note to self: add touch controls)
tcaudilllg
Dragonmaster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: [quote]

I was able to improve the speed markedly by pre-loading everything and sticking to tilesets instead of tiles with independent graphics. The bottleneck, it turns out, was the HDD.
Adam
Mage

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: [quote]

You can also get some speedy performance with straight DOM elements especially on mobile.

http://www.tricedesigns.com/2013/03/22/phonegap-legends-a-sample-game-app/

Jump to: