RPGDXThe center of Indie-RPG gaming
Not logged in. [log in] [register]

View previous topic - View next topic  
tcaudilllg
Dragonmaster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:37 am    Post subject: Code editor, Dyne's revival [quote]

Been thinking for a long time how to make code easier to edit. One thing I've known for a long time is that a tree approach is helpful, making block statements the branch points on the tree in the same way folders serve as branches in Windows Explorer.

What I had been thinking about was how to actually edit the code. My strategy was to make each individual token of each line "clickable" so that one could edit just the token, without changing the rest of the line. If one wanted to edit the entire line, that would be doable, but the basic idea is to insert tokens into the code with as little typing as possible. No code completion, just selection of avialable variables and statements and insertion of them with pinpoint precision. The benefit of this technique is that it makes code entry easier on portable systems, which typically have cumbersome interfaces.

Problem was, I couldn't think of the best placement for the insertion controls. I had been thinking to put the code tree and the controls in seperate areas of the control form; but now I think the optimal solution may be to use DHTML's object model to just swap the controls in and out from underneath the current code line on the main tree.

I've also been thinking of a new role for Dyne, the programming language I created some years back. I originally developed it as an interpreter for Javascript, but expression parsing proved to be chore. Plus, it was an interpreter. For Javascript. Not entirely useful, and made with the wrong ideas in mind anyway.

What I've been thinking now, is that I like Dyne better than Javascript. So I want to make a converter from Dyne to Javascript, thus allowing me to avoid ghastly "undefined variable" travails. (which account for more than 70% of the time it takes for me to make programs with that language). I think this would save me a lot of time and make programs made with Dyne faster, because they would just be converted to Javascript equivalents.
Ninkazu
Demon Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: [quote]

I think you need to build more context around what you're saying so we can finally understand you.
tcaudilllg
Dragonmaster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: [quote]

I should have used screenshots, but I was lazy.

Jump to: