RPGDXThe center of Indie-RPG gaming
Not logged in. [log in] [register]

View previous topic - View next topic  
Mattias Gustavsson
Mage

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: "Dungeon Master"-style game [quote]

The last few days, I've been experimenting a bit with art for a type of game I've been wanting to make for quite some time: a game in the style of good old Dungeon Master. Is there anyone here who used to play it, or other similar games? If so, I'd like to hear about what sort of things you remember from it, what made it fun and what would make you want to play a new game in the same style :-)

Anyway, here's a few examples of what my game will look like:

Hajo
Demon Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: "Dungeon Master"-style game [quote]

Mattias Gustavsson wrote:
Is there anyone here who used to play it, or other similar games? If so, I'd like to hear about what sort of things you remember from it, what made it fun and what would make you want to play a new game in the same style :-)

I liked it very much, also played the sequel. I remember that the first puzzle almost ruined the game for me. I was trying for some hours, but could not open a door, and so I put the game aside. Weeks later in a new try I finally managed to open the door, and it'd have been a pity if I had missed such a great game.

Also, some of the monsters gave me nightmares. I'd blame the "realistic and immersive" graphics for that, or just my vivid imagination - in any case, the graphics were very impressive, also many of the monsters looked quite unique to me.

The idea that the dungeon levels are spatially connected and one can climb down pits was very impressive, too.

I also liked the spell system, compiling spell effects from syllables or symbols.

Your graphics look very much like Dungeon Master, just in a more modern way. If you make that game, I'll gladly play it, I think :)

Edit: I remember that that stone giant had a stone club which was so heavy that some of my characters in the party could not even lift it up without hurting themselves ... just came to my mind when watching your graphics again.
DeveloperX

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: [quote]

Absolutely Phenomenal Renders Mattias!

I swear you crank out the best damn scenes I've ever seen!
Most commercial games don't even come close to your level of professionalism.

See my professional portfolio
Verious
Mage

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: [quote]

I never played Dungeon Master, was it similar to Eye of the Beholder? Overall, the screenshots look incredible and would be very immersive in a game environment.

My two cents regarding the graphics: The ceiling texture is a bit too repetitive and a few of the walls seem to have unnaturally small slivers of brick (this is particularily evident in the dragon screenshot). In the real world, brick walls generally end with half or full bricks.
Malignus
Scholar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: [quote]

I love first-person dungeon crawlers. If you make it, I will play! :D
RampantCoyote
Demon Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: [quote]

DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!

Make it. Complete it. Polish it. Sell it. I will buy it. :)
Mage

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: "Dungeon Master"-style game [quote]

Thanks for the encouragement and kind words :-)

Hajo wrote:
The idea that the dungeon levels are spatially connected and one can climb down pits was very impressive, too.

That's something I'd really like to have too, and with multiple ways to move between levels. I'll have an auto-map feature for my game though!

Hajo wrote:
I also liked the spell system, compiling spell effects from syllables or symbols.

Yeah, that's one of the things I remember well from the game too - I'd like to have something similar, but with my own twist.

Hajo wrote:
I remember that that stone giant had a stone club which was so heavy that some of my characters in the party could not even lift it up without hurting themselves ...

That I didn't remember, but I think it's little things like that which made the game great... like being able to throw *anything* at monsters to hurt them, or hurt them by closing doors on them - great fun :-)
DeveloperX

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: [quote]

Sounds good to me.
I cannot wait to see what you come up with man!

Hajo
Demon Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: [quote]

A thing that I didn't see in newer games anymore were the teleporter puzzles. Also invisible fields that rotated you by 90 degrees when walking through. Very confusing for people who try to draw maps :P
DeveloperX

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: [quote]

Hajo wrote:
Also invisible fields that rotated you by 90 degrees when walking through. Very confusing for people who try to draw maps :P

Oh that is so diabolical! I love it! XD

Verious
Mage

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: [quote]

I think the last teleporter puzzle I played was in the original Gauntlet arcade game.
Hajo
Demon Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: [quote]

Mattias are there any news on this project? I really liked the original very much, it was the game that opened the path to computer RPGs for me I think.

While waiting for news from your project, I felt inspired to try a dungeon corridor rendering, too.

I don't think my tools are bad, but it nowhere looks as good as yours. Particularly the lighting in your screens is amazing. So congrats for skill and choice of tools and assets :)

Aaaaaannnd .. you really have to make this game, since I'll be too lazy to make something of my rendered images and want to play a new Dungeon Master game since years :D
Mattias Gustavsson
Mage

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: [quote]

Hey, that looks quite nice actually :-) And you probably did more all by yourself on yours than I did on mine :P Though I did spend many hours tweaking my light settings... lighting is hard. Here's what one of my early tests looked like.

For those interested (if any), I use Poser for the art, and for the walls/floor/ceiling, I just have plain boxes mapped (and displacement mapped) with some free textures from some NVIDIA texture pack. Most of the furniture and stuff is from this package, and the troll/ogre guy is this model with my own morph- and material settings.

I don't have much to show from this at the moment. I'm working on the base technology for it at the moment, and it is a really rather slow process, with lots of things to try and tweak. I think I'm close to having my render process script finished off now - it looks like I'll be rendering ~1000 images for each object, which of course takes some time (though not unreasomably so), and a lot of it is discarded in post-processing. I'm hoping to have a first test, where you can move around in a small test room where there's a single table, within the next few weeks. After that, it's on to making the actual game, design and programming-wise, and rendering loads of objects, art-wise, but that's more or less automatic at that point.
Hajo
Demon Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: [quote]

The hours that you spend on the light surely pay off now :)

1000 views per object look intimidating. Good to have that automated. I wonder a bit how many views the original DM used for walls, since memory was very limited, compared to today.

I can't remember if front walls darkened towards the sides in large rooms. If they do, that surely needs a lot of extra images. I have tried to make an educated guess how many views of the wall one needs, but when ending up with a number above 10, I decided it's too much work to bother with :P

In regard to designing the game - features that I liked were the multiple attacks for each weapon. Also that bare-fist attacks were best against some opponents, because they were among the fastest attacks. Also, that ghosts were immune to most physical attacks and that arrows and throwing weapons passed right through them. I don't remember if fire balls hit them ... maybe they also passed through. It surely was scary when running into the first ghost and noticing that none of the weapons were of any use.

Do you remember the spell for peeking through walls and doors? I guess that is pretty tricky graphics coding, but maybe it can be made with clever masking and overlays.

Good luck with the project. I'm looking forward to see more of it :)
Mattias Gustavsson
Mage

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: [quote]

Well, the reason for the 1000 views of each object is that I'm aiming for animated movement around the dungeon, like this:

Which is not strictly necessary, but would be nice. You'd still turn 90 degrees at a time, and move a whole cell at a time, but with a quick animation rather than just skipping there. If I didn't do the animated thing, I't would be somewhere around 30 views for each object. It might be that I end up doing that if I don't get this to work as I'd like it to.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next 

Jump to: