RPGDXThe center of Indie-RPG gaming
Not logged in. [log in] [register]

View previous topic - View next topic  
Terry
Spectral Form

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: [Alternate History] Nexus City [quote]

Haven't really got a clue what I'm doing yet, but I figured I'd set a good example and start a thread!

I'd really like to *actually finish* something this time, so I'll probably aim quite low. Only have vague ideas right now, but here's some things I'd like to do:

- Have a finished engine before the challenge starts: Would really like to take advantage of the RPGDX rules for once and start making content from day one! Hopefully I'll have something rough in place before it actually begins.
- Go for a branching rather than linear structure: I'm not sure what I want to do with the story just yet, but I think it might be fun to try writing something with lots of branches and possibilities rather than just one long linear thing. The theme seems to suit that approach quite well too.
- Focus on "alternate", not "history": The one solid story idea I do have involves multiple characters with contradictory perspectives. Hoping that's enough as a basis for an interesting story!
- Explore an interesting battle mechanic: Hoping to avoid doing something menu driven entirely.
- Keep it simple: I really would like to finish this one, if possible.

Last edited by Terry on Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:22 am; edited 2 times in total
dock
Fluffy Bunny of Doom

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: [quote]

Good luck Terry! I'm in this with you, no matter what happens! :)

I was going to suggest, would you like to come over or otherwise meet one of the days, and we can both work on this together? I'll be CB2ing on Tuesday anyway.

It might be worth identifying problem areas of development early. For instance, I have realised that I've got no ideas when it come to making and balancing battle systems, so I'm going to avoid that altogether where possible.
Codexus
Egg-Sucking Troll Humper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: [quote]

Kitty! :D

hehehe, good luck!
Terry
Spectral Form

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: [quote]

Cheers :D

This has developed somewhat; I'm talking to someone about a possible collaboration and we have some ideas for what we want to do, though it is looking ridiculously ambitious right now.

I've got a really clear idea what I want to do for the battle engine, so I'm focusing on implementing that first. I tried to do it before for a Ludum Dare, but 48 hours wasn't enough time for it. Maybe one week will be, though.

Here's what it currently looks like (though these graphics are placeholders):

I'm still at this game jam, so my goal for today is just to get this battle engine functional, so that I can start designing some interesting battles for it tomorrow evening when I get back.

Quote:
I was going to suggest, would you like to come over or otherwise meet one of the days, and we can both work on this together? I'll be CB2ing on Tuesday anyway.

That sounds great! I probably won't be around on Tuesday, but would love to meet up Wednesday or Thursday or whenever :)
Spectral Form

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: [quote]

DAY ONE REPORT

I'm currently at a game jam in Berlin. For most of the weekend I've been good and worked on the RPG engine, but today I ended up working on this instead:

Which I'm now scrapping because it's not really working out. Hmm :(

Oh well; I'll be back in Cambridge tomorrow - I can get started properly then.
I wanna be a ballerina!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:44 am    Post subject: [quote]

Terry you are a true gentleman.

Everybody else you are too, and gentlewoman like SophieH. Anyhow this is fun to watch, I'm lurking...
dock
Fluffy Bunny of Doom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:54 am    Post subject: [quote]

Glad you've already got something started. Have a safe journey home, and we'll get together soon! :)
Terry
Spectral Form

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: [quote]

Guess I should post an update:

There's about two or three minutes of playable content so far, but nothing we're actually keeping; just enough to get a feel for the game and tweak some important details.

Graphically, I'm trying out something Dock suggested the other day of having different restricted single-colour palettes on each interactive layer. I think it's working pretty well so far!

My collaboration partner Jonas Kyratzes has been working on a really neat concept for the game, and is almost finished a screenplay of the first section. We're hoping to have that more or less implemented by Sunday, then I guess we'll do our best to have the rest implemented by next Wednesday.
Mage

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: [quote]

I like the visual style and it sounds like the game is progressing well.
PsySal
I wanna be a ballerina!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: [quote]

One thing I like about your art, Terry, is that you make BIG HEADS but in a cool way. I really like the way you pixeldraw heads.
Terry
Spectral Form

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: [quote]

We're still working on this! Behold: the first "actual" screenshot from the game - as in, this is actually part of the game:

PsySal wrote:
One thing I like about your art, Terry, is that you make BIG HEADS but in a cool way. I really like the way you pixeldraw heads.

Cheers dude :)
Spectral Form

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:01 am    Post subject: [quote]

Well, we're not finished, but as always I promise to continue working on my RPG after the deadline, and so on. (except that this time I probably will, since it's a collaboration and it's going rather well).

I posted a little bit about it to my blog. Here's a few screenshots!

I wanna be a ballerina!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:08 am    Post subject: [quote]

So much awesome, aaaaaaaaaaaahhhh =)
js71
Wandering DJ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:35 am    Post subject: [quote]

Wow, Jonas Kyratzes huh? I loved his artsy adventure games way back when... :) Can't wait to see the fruits of this collaboration! Looks promising so far.

~Josiah
PsySal
I wanna be a ballerina!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:48 am    Post subject: [quote]

Hey every so often I come back here to check this thread. Anything happening? Screenshots look so promising, and, well, Terry Heads.

Jump to: