RPGDXThe center of Indie-RPG gaming
Not logged in. [log in] [register]

School Maze - A Dungeoncrawler Game. Kinda.

View previous topic - View next topic  
Jinroh
Scholar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: School Maze - A Dungeoncrawler Game. Kinda. [quote]

CURRENT VERSION IS V1.10 Play it now at http://jinrohdev.tk/SchoolMaze

I made this game that was released this week! ^_^ As part of my New Years Resolution to finish some of my old unfinished projects.

I haven't posted here in a while so I thought I would share it with you guys since it's kinda like the subject matter here.

Anyway, the game's kinda like a dungeon crawler where you're a kid named Lil' Billy who ventures forth on his quest to find his missing homework. Along the way you have to navigate the school and negotiate with the dangers that are there. Like Cheerleaders, Football players, and the like. Throwing pudding and water balloons your only option to defeat them along with collecting money and using vending machines to get much needed equipment.

Follow Lil' Billy on his 5 level quest of excitement! ^^

That's the summation of the game right there. The current version is 1.9 and you can play it <<<<HERE>>>>

I never gave you guys any finished project so I thought I'd post it here. ^_^

Hope you like it.

Last edited by Jinroh on Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:31 am; edited 2 times in total
DeveloperX

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:35 am    Post subject: [quote]

That was damned difficult, but I managed to get through it after the tenth play.
Kudos on a nice game.

The graphics need a little more work..mainly its the tilefloor that gives me a headache because of the optical effects that happen when you put the pattern in motion. if it were just checkered and not the tiny squares, it would look better imho.

There is a collision detection glitch if you catch the corner of a locker and continue to press, your player avatar will disappear until you press a new direction.

I had some collision detection issues in a few places where I went right through the wall and got stuck, causing me to restart the game.

The music was sub-par, and too repetitive at times.

Final score: 4/10

I hope you don't take my post as insulting.
It takes a lot to make a great game.
The game design is great I think, just need to work more on the presentation. Keep up the good work.

See my professional portfolio
Jinroh
Scholar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: [quote]

Thanks for your comments and for playing it. ^_^

I'm definitely a better programmer than I am a game designer, but it didn't turn out too bad.

Quote:
There is a collision detection glitch if you catch the corner of a locker and continue to press, your player avatar will disappear until you press a new direction.

Thanks for reporting that it's a by product of the new keyhandler I coded this morning I'll have to address that. I wasn't sure if it would create new issues or not.

Quote:
I had some collision detection issues in a few places where I went right through the wall and got stuck, causing me to restart the game.

Was this during using the run button ('C')? I've gotten inside the wall a few times, I've just had to back out the opposite direction. I should fix the value that causes that though. ^_^

Thanks for the constructive criticism. Glad you got some enjoyment out of it though. ^_^ How'd you like the ending? :P Don't forget too you can toggle the music off. ^_^

UPDATE: Uploaded Version 1.7 it should fix those bugs that you encountered.

Also finally have the Youtube Trailer all fixed hehe if anyone needs further convincing. ^_^
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVuToxWKOVQ

Also I'll test it out with just plain non-dithered tiled floors later. ^_^
Verious
Mage

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: [quote]

As mentioned by DeveloperX, I found the floor tiles to be a bit intense/distracting.
Jinroh
Scholar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject: [quote]

Thanks for playing Verious. ^_^ I'm thinking I'm gonna add a button to toggle the tiles to dithered to flat in the next release so we can have the best of both worlds. hehe.

Updated: School Maze 1.8

Bugfixes:
Z can now be used in your name. >_<
Vending Machine Menu No Longer Lists a 4th Non-existent Choice.
Score screen now displays the number of fights won instead of just 0 all the time.

Additions:
Andre's wait a second so you can see what you did wrong timer.
Obscene Name Censorer.

School Maze v1.9 is up!

Updates:
---------------
No Longer Will Enemies Spawn on you.
Press 'T' to Toggle the floor dithering.

As usual http://jinrohdev.net23.net/SchoolMaze/ thanks for playing. ^_^ Report any weird bugs too please, though I think I've gotten almost all of them. ^_^
Jinroh
Scholar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:31 am    Post subject: [quote]

Version 1.10 of my game School Maze is done!

UPDATED:
Sharper Correctly Scaled Graphics!
All New Songs Done by the Great Video Game Band Lashur

Playit now at http://jinrohdev.tk/SchoolMaze

Jump to: