RPGDXThe center of Indie-RPG gaming
Not logged in. [log in] [register]

View previous topic - View next topic  
ClayDragon
Sick of Being A Fairy Princess Yet?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:29 am    Post subject: RPG FreeBASIC Engine [quote]

Greetings everyone!

I'm new to this forum and I choose this one from the ones I visit every week as a lurker to introduce myself and my RPG Engine coded in FreeBASIC. Well, I'm 41 years old and I began programming in 1984 with BASICA on genuine IBM XT computers during my computer classes... It was my first experience with computers and I simply fell in love with those machines. Since then, I owned a Coco 3, then a 386DX, a P200, P2 400, now a P4 1400, and I always used to stick with some form of BASIC language. Now it's FreeBASIC.

I'm working on the same RPG Engine for some years now and its finally done and polished... and ready for your comments...

Here's a few screenshots:

and a link to download it:
http://www.cooptel.qc.ca/~clay/krpg/krpged64.zip (Mouse and keyboard apart)
and if you'd like to know more about this project (KRPG), click here: http://clay.ca.cx

Thank you all for reading, hope to hear from you soon...

Bernard

Last edited by ClayDragon on Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:22 am; edited 5 times in total
Jinroh
Scholar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:12 am    Post subject: [quote]

Just like a classic CRPG. ^_^ I liked it, the art style was nice, the battle system is nice and tactical.

The only thing that bugged me a little was always having to switch between movement mode and mouse mode, but that is just a little gripe and there isn't much problem with it, it just made things a bit slower.

It felt like an old style CRPG and that's what you were going for so great job. ^_^ I like that you can choose the gender of your character, though I'm not very good at the game. >_< Those monsters killed my party hehe.

I also liked your monster compendium so I could look at the monster values.

Thanks for sharing I can't wait to see what the final product is like when you are done. ^^
ClayDragon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: [quote]

Thank you very much for your comment!

If you have a better idea about the mouse and keyboard combination I'm open to any suggestions!

Thanks again!
Jinroh
Scholar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: [quote]

Yeah that's the thing that unless you want to make it more like a Console RPG I can't think of a better control scheme than that. ^_^

You could have like 'Z' to talk and interact with people on the world map, but that would break away from the CRPG style.

The battle system is fine because it switches for you when you're done moving and such.
ClayDragon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: [quote]

Thanks!

If your party died so early maybe its because you headed straight to the north of the village... you must head south first and use the magic user to attack the monsters with lightning bolt in order to gain a level or two... after that you'll be able to attack with both characters...

Thank you again anyway for trying!
BadMrBox
Bringer of Apocalypse

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: [quote]

Hey ClayDragon.

When I saw this I had to download and test it. I love oldschool stuff and I like the fact that you have written this in FB.

So firstly, I noticed that the mousepointer is quite off in fullscreen mode.
I would say that the pointer is drawn onscreen about a little more then it's own height to far up. This doesn't occur in windowed mode.

I guess you are using Inkey for movement?
You should empty the key-buffer when the player exists the mouse mode. As it is now the player can end up anywhere if he is pressing the keyarrows meanwhile he's in the mouse mode.
Have you considered multikey?
I personally think that you might consider merging the mouse mode and the walk mode together.

I haven't really been able to test the battles yet so I wont comment on that just yet.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject: [quote]

Haven't tried it yet, but...Toroia? Really? Isn't that a village in Final Fantasy IV?
ClayDragon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:27 am    Post subject: [quote]

@BadMrBox:
Thank you for your constructive comment!

I'm using the version 0.16 of FreeBASIC, so this is maybe why the mouse is off like that in fullscreen mode. I could use the version 0.20 or 0.21 but I'd have to update my code to the new FreeBASIC dialect (I use the deprecated dialect since 2007) I know I should upgrade to the new dialect but I didn't see any reason to do so until now... So maybe if I do so, the mouse bug would be fixed. I hope...

I add the while inkey$<>"":wend line everywhere the player quits the mouse mode... Thank you for letting me know...

As for the multikey thingy, I can see that it can detect key combinations like CTRL+S unlike inkey but I can't see any other advantages about it, maybe you could give me some more... and still, it has been implemented in the version 0.17 of FreeBASIC, so it could be another reason to upgrade to the new dialect...

Finally, merging the mouse mode and the walk mode doesn't seem to be possible, I tried to do it tonight but the results were painful and a lot worser. Perhaps, you could give me a hint about how the code should look with the main loop including inkey and mouse components combined together if you want...

@Malignus:
Most of the music used in my demo is from different Final Fantasy games. So the music you hear in my first village is actually the music from Toroia in Final Fantasy IV. I did the same thing for my second and last village Mysidia... I did that on purpose just to bring back those cherished old memories about the Final Fantasy's Villages we used to love so much!
Rainer Deyke
Demon Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:42 am    Post subject: [quote]

The screenshots look good, but...

Jinroh wrote:
[...]mouse mode[...]

...this is where I lost interest. Sorry, but mouse controls are a pet peeve of mine. Games that force you to switch between mouse and keyboard even more so.
Jinroh
Scholar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:12 am    Post subject: [quote]

ClayDragon wrote:
Thanks!

If your party died so early maybe its because you headed straight to the north of the village... you must head south first and use the magic user to attack the monsters with lightning bolt in order to gain a level or two... after that you'll be able to attack with both characters...

Thank you again anyway for trying!

Ah I see. hehe. That's my problem. I went North once and South once, but used my main character and she died. =_= So I have to use my spellcaster. hehe.

Thanks for the tip. ^-^

ClayDragon wrote:
Finally, merging the mouse mode and the walk mode doesn't seem to be possible, I tried to do it tonight but the results were painful and a lot worser. Perhaps, you could give me a hint about how the code should look with the main loop including inkey and mouse components combined together if you want...

Hmm...I'm not a FB coder so I'm not sure how it is setup, but in C I would keep track of separate variables for mouseX, mouseY, mouseState, and keypressed that way everything is separate and you can keep track of them separately in the event handler. Though Basic is a procedural handled language and I can't remember how you poll the key/mouse states so this may not be possible.
ClayDragon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:45 am    Post subject: [quote]

@Rainer Deyke:
I'm sorry to read that!

I just thought that a mouse is more friendlier then a hand cursor you move around with arrows for icons and boxes in the menus... but it's your point of view and I respect it! I too would be repelled if I was forced to click on monsters on the battlefield to hurt them!

@Jinroh:
Thank you for your appreciation and help! It is very welcome!
Jinroh
Scholar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: [quote]

ClayDragon wrote:
@Rainer Deyke:
I'm sorry to read that!

I just thought that a mouse is more friendlier then a hand cursor you move around with arrows for icons and boxes in the menus... but it's your point of view and I respect it! I too would be repelled if I was forced to click on monsters on the battlefield to hurt them!

@Jinroh:
Thank you for your appreciation and help! It is very welcome!

No problem. ^_^ I think Rainer may like the more console style system where say your character would walk up to another and press a button to interact.

Like "Press 'Z' to Talk" or something and also to pick up an item. Then if you wanted to use an item you'd press something like "Press 'Enter' to bring up the menu" then scroll through the menu to "INVENTORY" and then selecte Inventory with 'Enter' then goto your item, then press 'ENTER' to give it to the person.

Rainer may like that system better which some do like, but it would require a complete re-write of your onscreen GUI.
BadMrBox
Bringer of Apocalypse

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: [quote]

ClayDragon wrote:

I would do it somewhat like this I guess:
Code:
#include "fbgfx.bi"
Declare sub MoveCharacter
Declare sub CheckMouse
Declare sub DrawScreen
dim shared as string M
dim shared as integer cX, cY

Screenres 640,480,32,2
screenset 1,0

do
cls
m= inkey
'
      drawscreen
      movecharacter
      checkmouse

screencopy
loop

sub movecharacter
   if m = "w" then cY = cY - 20
   if m = "s" then cY = cY + 20
   if m = "a" then cX = cX - 20
   if m = "d" then cX = cX + 20
   m = ""
end sub

sub checkmouse
  res = GetMouse (x, y, , buttons)

if x>=500 and x <600>=100 and y <=200 then
         locate 1,1:print "woo"
      end if
   end if
end sub

sub drawscreen
'mousebox
line (500,100)-(600,200),rgb(123,223,123),b
'character
line (cX,cY)-(cX+20,cY+20),rgb(223,223,123),b
end sub

I used fb 0.14 to test that code.
Personally I haven't stumbled upon any problems with the mouse in any of all the freebasic versions I have used.
You might consider using WASD for controlling the character. It's feels more comfortable than using the arrowkeys when the mouse is involved, at least for me.
I could take a peek at your code if you want too :).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject: [quote]

@Jinroh:
Thank you again for your support and advice!

@BadMrBox:
I can't thank you enough for the time you're taking in helping me! It is very nice of you! I'll work on my demo using your idea this weekend, I'm too busy tomorrow...

Thanks again!
ClayDragon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:40 am    Post subject: [quote]

New version 6.5 (Mouse and Walk mode are now merged)

Check it out! Link in first post...
Goto page 1, 2  Next 

Jump to: