RPGDXThe center of Indie-RPG gaming
Not logged in. [log in] [register]

View previous topic - View next topic  
dock
Fluffy Bunny of Doom

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: [Alternate History] Docken Quest [quote]

This isn't the name of the game, but Terry already chose the thread title I wanted!

I'm going to make something for this, but I don't have anything prepared. Came up with an idea a couple of days ago, but it's way too ambitious, so I need to scale things down dramatically. Instead, I have just a few goals.

Primary goals:
- Make a nice 3D character with textures and animation. Walk, attack, etc. Probably go quite low poly to speed things up.
- Make a 3D environment with textures that doesn't look like ass. Similarly, quite low poly. Textures should be neatly assigned, using proper UV unwrapping.
- Dialogue / conversation system using my conversation parsing system that I've been playing with for a while, but never applied to anything.
- Inventory system.
- Some basic stats, like HP and Gold.

This is enough to make a very simple game, though not much of an RPG. So let's get some secondary goals to make something worthwhile.

Secondary goals:
- Explorable 'dungeon' area with hostile enemies. Should be maze-like.
- Time travel! This is my main interest in terms of 'alternate history', and I think it offers interesting scope for changing the environment around you.
- Make NPCs based on main character mesh. If I keep it lowpoly it should be pretty fast to make additional characters.
- Make a couple of enemies, with simple animations.
- Basic combat system! I'll probably just give them 3D animations with a damage causing object, pretty simple, in theory.

This weekend I'm pretty exhausted, but I might start on some 3D assets if I feel in the mood. I'll be sure to update this thread as soon as I have anything.
Codexus
Egg-Sucking Troll Humper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: [quote]

I hope you'll make some cute animal characters. Have fun!
Jinroh
Scholar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: [quote]

When I read your thread title, I totally thought you were making an RPG for an alternate history in which Dokken saves the Earth or something. I also thought that you just spelled Dokken wrong too. :P

Sounds like a good plan of attack though even if you aren't making a Dokken themed RPG. ^_^

dock
Fluffy Bunny of Doom

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject: [quote]

Sorry to disappoint! XD

Decided to go for a photography themed RPG of sorts, in which you travel back in time and document things with your camera to fix things in the future. I'll finish up this model tomorrow, and maybe get a couple of NPCs together.
dock
Fluffy Bunny of Doom

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: [quote]

Goals for day 1:
- Finish main character, with textures and animations.
- Get some NPC models done too, with textures and animations.
- Have character walking around a plain untextured test environment, playing appropriate animations for movement.

It would be a great step to get this task out of the way, and should be quite good for my motivation to have nice characters to work with.
dock
Fluffy Bunny of Doom

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: [quote]

Made some decent progress with the character, but I'm finding myself drifting and experimenting too much because I don't have any concept art.

Going to spend a bit of time now on concept art for the main char and a few NPCs, then I'll know exactly what is needed for the model. Hopefully still finish it today.
dock
Fluffy Bunny of Doom

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: [quote]

Concept art done, will finish up the 3D model after this delicious bowl of rice!
dock
Fluffy Bunny of Doom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: [quote]

XMark
Guitar playin' black mage

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: [quote]

Wow, that's a really accurate 2D-to-3D translation.
equil
Pretty, Pretty Fairy Princess

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: [quote]

Your character looks great! : )

I like the game idea too, it makes me think of pokemon snap for some reason. Looking forward to seeing what you'll put together.
Jinroh
Scholar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: [quote]

XMark wrote:
Wow, that's a really accurate 2D-to-3D translation.

Yes I agree very much. ^_^ Very cute too.

Jump to: