RPGDXThe center of Indie-RPG gaming
Not logged in. [log in] [register]

View previous topic - View next topic  
RampantCoyote
Demon Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:19 am    Post subject: [quote]

Man, Unity is just taking over indie game development. Sheesh.

Still, hard to argue with the results, huh? Looking promising!
Monkey-Butler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: [quote]

Thanks

I tried really hard to say no to Unity, but it's just too appealing.
codeugly
Monkey-Butler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:23 am    Post subject: [quote]

Day job has slammed into deadline mode, so time has been short. Here is the latest in editor screen. It's amazing how much time you can kill on modeling and texturing.

Malignus
Scholar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:40 am    Post subject: [quote]

Not at all. What would be amazing is if you were able to avoid spending a huge amount of time creating art assets.

Looking nice, by the way. :)
RampantCoyote
Demon Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:04 am    Post subject: [quote]

I spend a surprisingly long time working on them, myself, and mine still don't end up looking all that good.

And yeah. Unity. I *just* discovered today that Unity natively supports Blender models. That might have been the final push I needed to go that way for future (non-Frayed Knights) projects.
Monkey-Butler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:59 am    Post subject: [quote]

Thanks Guys.

I really wish I could calm my mind and leave well enough alone, but I am constantly second guessing and tweaking graphics. It's really hard for me, a wana-be artist to get it right too, not to mention rare. My eyes start to glaze over after about 10 minutes of texture mapping.

And wow, Unity does native Blender too! I haven't paid real close attention to all the features, I just looked for the cheapest route for a full blown game studio, and Cheetah3D a few years ago was the modeler that was cheap, and Unity is the only affordable engine that supports any of the file formats Cheetah can render to, including the native cheetah models.
codeugly
Monkey-Butler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: [quote]

No new pictures today. :( I have been elsewhere on development lately. I spent a week working towards the new website, then started doing some of the interface development.

I am hesitant to give any real details on the mechanics, other than the ones I know for sure or have implemented. And I have two options on how this game is going to progress, but I actually need a working demo to decide if idea 1 is good enough or just needs tweaked, or if I really do need to go with idea 2.

But the basics are that it is a strategy RPG at heart. Unlike a lot of my previous attempts, the plan right now is to phase through turns rather than having timed turns. I prefer the other most of the time, but for the sake of keeping the bar set low, I can implement this plan much faster.

And I have been on a Disgeae kick for the last few months, so current thinking is that the party can grow throughout the game, even to the point of in game character creation. I really like this, and I don't see this as being a high bar.

So other than basic game element programing and other such management there is nothing to show, and I am still gunning toward my spring demo.
codeugly
Monkey-Butler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:23 am    Post subject: [quote]

Nothing new to report just yet, but it's coming real soon. I'm copy pasting my explanation(excuse) for lack of updates as of recent. I am really excited to be able to start back up on this project. It's only been a few weeks since I programmed on it last, but it feels much longer. Anyway to save ya a trip to my little website, here's the post.

Web Development Gloating

It feels like it’s been years since I updated this blog. I don’t know if I’ve ever mentioned this, but my steady job is in web development. We have spent the last few months putting some serious hours in to replace an existing system that just was a band aid patch on top of a band aid patch. And sure enough, release week comes and you make band aid patches to the new system in non-critical areas while you work to keep the overall structure in tact and react to the diminishing stream of critical and cautionary error reports.

Fortunately there aren’t too many band aids and criticals are steadily going away. It’s actually kind of funny when you have been tracking an error with no hope of finding, then all of sudden someone gives you just the right information and you are able to recreate the error for the first time. I never thought I’d be so happy to see something I coded throw an error.

So in short, yes I am gloating a bit, there are a few lingering errors still in the system, but minor enough that I can step back and breath for a bit. And in the coming weeks updates on The Gateway Circle should come to life again. Jay Jay and I are gearing up to push a little and see if we can get some serious off hour programming and development going.

So yay, my web development sucks much less today, and yay, I’m going to have free time again!!!
codeugly
Monkey-Butler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: [quote]

I have been very busy lately. I did, however, manage to get a mini-game spin off of The Gateway Circle finished for the Kongregate Unity Contest. I probably got disqualified, but I am continuing to update this with code I plan on using for the final game.

Right now it's not really as "RPG" as I would like it to be, but if you want a very rugged look at what we are going for then check this out at Kongregate.

Bear in mind, this project was rushed and then some. I update it almost daily, and it is nearly where I want it to be interface wise. We will probably do a few more small spin-offs as we head toward a larger game that will be The Gateway Circle.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/gregtedder/the-gateway-circle-skirmish
Goto page Previous  1, 2 

Jump to: