RPGDXThe center of Indie-RPG gaming
Not logged in. [log in] [register]

Eternal Bickering (2D Isometric Turn-based RPG)

View previous topic - View next topic  
Agent
I wanna be a ballerina!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: [quote]

Finished up the new scripting system, and made a basic scripting editor.

Added some missing features to abilities (cool down time, fatigue cost etc), and added a few new abilities.

Considering creating a simple prototype, something very small, mainly hack-n-slash, unpolished and probably rather different than the end product just to see what people think of it. Anyone here who would be interested in playing (and hopefully commenting) such a prototype?
Agent
I wanna be a ballerina!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:55 am    Post subject: [quote]

I am working on spells, and I've fixed some bugs. My plan is to add a few more spells, squash some more bugs, polish the game slightly and improve the content creation tools somewhat then to start working on the prototype. Unfortunately I might not have much time during Christmas, so it will probably take a while before the prototype demo thing is done.

And here's another screenshot (even though it doesn't look much different from the other ones, but hey, why not :) )
RampantCoyote
Demon Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:39 am    Post subject: [quote]

Okay, I'm kicking myself figuring out how you are getting so much done so fast. Obviously, I'm a horrible slacker. Good job!
Dragonmaster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: [quote]

Of course we'll play the prototype. :)
Malignus
Scholar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:34 am    Post subject: [quote]

RampantCoyote wrote:
Okay, I'm kicking myself figuring out how you are getting so much done so fast.

I dunno--I find the engine creation part is the quickest in terms of easy-to-point-to, tangible progress. It's in filling the world up with content where we get massively diminishing returns in terms of time spent.
Agent
I wanna be a ballerina!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: [quote]

OK, I've been polishing stuff up, started (slowly) working on the prototype, and improved the script editor and started writing some scripts.
Here's an example:
Code:
Property SpawnTimer as Integer

Sub Run(  )

//spawns DragonFly after about 20 turns
   SpawnTimer = SpawnTimer+1

If SpawnTimer > 19 then
      Dim validLocation as Boolean
      Dim posX, posY as Integer
      If Random( 0, 1 ) = 1 then
         posX = Player.MapPositionX + Random( 30, 99 )
      else
         posX = Player.MapPositionX - Random( 30, 99 )
      end if
      If Random( 0, 1 ) = 1 then
         posY = Player.MapPositionY + Random( 30, 99 )
      else
         posY = Player.MapPositionY - Random( 30, 99 )
      end if
      If not CurrentArea.Obstacle( posX, posY ) then
         Dim Actors() as Actor
         Actors = CurrentArea.GetActorsAt( posX, posY )
         If UBound( Actors ) = -1 then //valid location
            validLocation = True   
         end if
      end if
      If validLocation then
         SpawnTimer = 0
         CurrentArea.AddActor( "DragonFly", posX, posY )
      end if
   End If

End Sub

Hopefully I'll manage to squeeze in some more time than I think I will during Christmas.
Agent
I wanna be a ballerina!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: [quote]

OK, I've recently finished polishing up the script editor (thanks to Alex Restrepo) and script compiler error reporting. Here's a screenshot:

Right now I am working on adding more equipment slots, previously I only had two, one weapon and one armor slot. Decided it was way more fun if you could have one right hand, left hand, helmet, armor and trinket (for amulets and rings etc) slot. This will allow things such as weapon and shield or dual weapons, which is always fun. It's a bit of a rewrite though, early on I decided it was one of those things that I should simplify away. Almost got it working, just need to add better interface for it.
Agent
I wanna be a ballerina!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:00 am    Post subject: [quote]

Malignus wrote:
RampantCoyote wrote:
Okay, I'm kicking myself figuring out how you are getting so much done so fast.

I dunno--I find the engine creation part is the quickest in terms of easy-to-point-to, tangible progress. It's in filling the world up with content where we get massively diminishing returns in terms of time spent.

I kind of agree, it depends on the game, but yes, with most RPGs there is so much content. I wish it was easier to make great and easy to use content creation tools...
Right now, I've only been able to work in small bursts of time, but I am progressing albeit slowly. Added some new features (trading, dual weapons, more advanced scripting etc), squashed quite a few bugs and I've worked a bit on the prototype starting area.
Agent
I wanna be a ballerina!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:12 am    Post subject: [quote]

I've been sick, meaning progress have been slow (and weird, I don't recommend programming with a fever), but I am better (although not completely well) now and I've managed to do quite a lot of work. Still, it doesn't look like there have been much progress (a lot of it has been under the hood, upgrades not directly visible to the game player) and it has made me realize that if I want this prototype to be done before autumn I will need to downsize. And if I want my game done before my autumn years, I need to downsize that too.
So now I am redesigning both the prototype and the game, turning both into less serious and less story-driven projects. The main idea was very much about exploration, physical exploration and not character exploration, which will not change.
I need to keep stuff simple if I ever want to release this, I can make sequels filled with the stuff that's been cut later :)
Agent
I wanna be a ballerina!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject: [quote]

OK, since my last post I've changed the name (to Heaven Collapsed), done some work on the interface and added quite some content. The prototype is coming along nicely. I've also created a website, Brainswitch Machina, where I plan on posting updates similar to the ones I've done in this thread. In this thread I will only post more major updates, like when the prototype is ready to download.

Edit: Feel free to post comments on the site.
Agent
I wanna be a ballerina!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: [quote]

So I've decided to change name again, hopefully this time it will stick :). I've also made a lot of progress since last I wrote here, and I just played through the game, doing what I imagine a normal player would (completing the quests, exploring but not examining every nook and cranny, talking with characters, trading etc) and it took almost 2 hours (and I guess it would take longer if you are not as familiar with the game as I am). Which is longer than I thought, which is good :)
I've rebalanced the game, especially in the "end", since I had not realized how powerful you've usually become by that time.

My plan was to release a prototype when it was possible to complete the first part of the main quest, but I might do it before that (since I am only about half-way there now, and I would like some feedback soon).
I wanna be a ballerina!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: [quote]

All the conversations in Eternal Bickering has so far been written with Notepad++ in the games scripting language. However, this turned out to be quite confusing, especially when the conversations started to run a bit deep. Now I've made a tool to make writing dialog easier, most importantly it's much easier to get a good overview of the conversations.

Here's a screenshot:

Progress in other areas is steady, but slow. Quite a few bugs have been exterminated, quite a lot of new content and new features have been added. Still some stuff do to before I release the prototype.
I wanna be a ballerina!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: [quote]

OK, here it is. Prototype 1 of Eternal Bickering. There is very little documentation, something that will be addressed in future updates, so if you feel lost don't be afraid to ask any questions. I would gladly receive any comments, critique and feedback from you to my email: rasmuslinden@gmail.com
I hope you enjoy playing it, and if not, send me an email telling me why!

Download here:
https://sites.google.com/site/brainswitchmachina/Eternal-Bickering/downloads

Last edited by Agent on Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Tenshi
Everyone's Peachy Lil' Bitch

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: [quote]

That dialog editor does look very very handy! Very cool. :)
Scholar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: [quote]

Initial thought: cool engine, but the jerky camera movement is kind of off-putting. I'd suggest making the camera scroll smoothly between spaces.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 

Jump to: