RPGDXThe center of Indie-RPG gaming
Not logged in. [log in] [register]

View previous topic - View next topic  
Tenshi
Everyone's Peachy Lil' Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Sakura Densetsu - Updates [quote]

Hi!

So ... a long time ago in a galaxy far away I started writing a game that I eventually landed on titling Unmei Densetsu. And things were good. And I was a bad coder and tried to re-re-re-design a game without a clear path. And the game would get re-written or something would happen and it would just suffer from huge lapses in development. And things were bad.

So I took a couple of years off from writing the game. No development at all... I took to several notebooks and actually came up with this silly thing called a "design document." I mapped out systems, and let them stew, and every now and again I would flip through my notes, and either adjust, or "set-in-stone" various ideas.

I also managed to get my life in order. I recently had SRS over in Thailand and some who may remember my embittered responses to certain topics will now find that I'm peachy-keen like a jelly bean now.

Then recently I started coding again. I put together a thesis proposal and wiped my project clean, and started rebuilding from scratch (well, not from scratch). I ditched the old libraries I was using (OpenGLUT) and the old IDE (Bloodshed DevC++) in favor of stuff that is actually updated (Code::Blocks and SFML).

I've finalized the game's direction, and I've been coding the systems according to my design documents.

What I have now is a real-time action RPG similar to Secret of Mana / Legend of Mana. My Thesis project is to incorporate a newer form of adaptive Artificial Intelligence into the game (since the player controls 1 character and can tab between them at any time, and everything else is controlled by AI).

Unfortunately in the past few weeks I haven't been working on my game. I was recently laid off when we lost a major contract and my website has needed to be refurbished ahead of schedule as an example of my knowledge of various languages and techniques. I have thesis proposal defense hopefully 3 weeks from now so I should be back into it by then.

This is the last screenshot I took, and here's the main character at last iteration. I have to adjust her skin tone a bit, though.

Main character.

This shot was taken before I touched up the colors due to some Pixelation critique, but it does show the basics of the system including the three-resource system (Health, Quantum, Action) and a sample targeting method for a ranged AoE ability.

Anyway, thank you for your time.

- Jae'da / Jade
Demon Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: [quote]

Welcome back, Tenshi. It's good to see familiar "faces." Glad you're back in the groove of things.
Tenshi
Everyone's Peachy Lil' Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:07 am    Post subject: [quote]

Thank you very much. It's great to see you as well. :)

Jump to: