RPGDXThe center of Indie-RPG gaming
Not logged in. [log in] [register]

View previous topic - View next topic  
tcaudilllg
Dragonmaster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: [quote]

It looks like the type of game that would take a month to finish.
RampantCoyote
Demon Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: [quote]

Yeah, it's pretty huge. And you spend a lot of time returning to town and heading back down into the dungeon again (though there are shortcuts you can find to get you to certain lower levels quickly, which helps).
Dragonmaster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject: [quote]

Is there story, or is it all dungeon?
TheSuddenFire
I wanna be a ballerina!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:31 am    Post subject: [quote]

RampantCoyote wrote:
Yeah, it's pretty huge. And you spend a lot of time returning to town and heading back down into the dungeon again (though there are shortcuts you can find to get you to certain lower levels quickly, which helps).

Haha! Sounds just like Diablo.
Dragonmaster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:37 am    Post subject: [quote]

My impression of it was Rogue in 3D.
RampantCoyote
Demon Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject: [quote]

There is a story, but it's pretty thin.

It's a fixed dungeon with (semi-)fixed encounters, not random like Diablo or roguelikes. So the dungeon has a lot of very specific puzzles and navigation tricks to it.
I wanna be a ballerina!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: ... [quote]

Puzzles would make it cool. Diablo didn't really have any at all that I can remember. I never played Rogue. However, I could argue that the replay value would lessen a little if everything were fixed. Not that it's that big of a deal. Just throwing out thoughts :)
Dragonmaster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: [quote]

If you've never played Rogue, it's playable online right now. Just type it in Google.

But it's basically a flat Ultima.
RampantCoyote
Demon Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: ... [quote]

TheSuddenFire wrote:
Puzzles would make it cool. Diablo didn't really have any at all that I can remember. I never played Rogue. However, I could argue that the replay value would lessen a little if everything were fixed. Not that it's that big of a deal. Just throwing out thoughts :)

The size of the dungeon alone restricts its replay value for me. Just finishing it once is a big enough task. :)

But yeah - the game has very specific areas and encounters. I've been slaughtered by Asmodeus a couple of times now. :) Left him alone on the assumption that there's something else I have to do to take him on, but aside from a couple of clues (which I've now forgotten about), I don't know what yet. And there are inventory-item type puzzles, and little "quizzes" in the game that require you to search out information in the game world to pass. The fixed-world thing has some definite advantages over randomly generated stuff, but I would like to see more interaction & story.

But overall, I like they game. Just kinda... drowning in games right now. (There was a time, as a kid, when I dreamed of having such problems...)
I wanna be a ballerina!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:27 am    Post subject: ? [quote]

Very true on the fact that Diablo may have had one little extra spark involving the rest of its world. The run, run, hack, slash, done thing kinda bores you after a while. Not having to "figure anything out" can leave it stagnant. It's one of those games where you spend all of your time getting better and better equipment.
Dragonmaster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:16 am    Post subject: [quote]

Diablo is fine as a single player game. However the new Diablo 3 is just WoW with different graphics. I'm completely unimpressed with the game and don't intend to play it at all.

I think this game would have been better if the maker had asked a writer to write a plot for it. Might have even made the pages of PC Gamer in that event.
TheSuddenFire
I wanna be a ballerina!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: , [quote]

I've only seen YouTube vids of it. It looks like Diablo II with more 3D appeal and I've heard a lot of bad rap on it. I always thought Blizzard was interminably perfect until WoW hit and now I guess D3, as well. Every band writes a bad song on their CD, right?
Dragonmaster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: [quote]

All they've produced for years are 3D versions of their previous games. No gameplay innovations of any kind. Just not worth the value.

But these days, the big publishers just don't hardly stand out. Only a few still produce worthwhile content. Most of the best games today, are indie.

Speaking of which, have you played Agarest War 2? That game must be the most complex, convoluted TRPG EVER.
TheSuddenFire
I wanna be a ballerina!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: @ [quote]

I haven't had money or heavy game interest for a long time. I'm really upset that Project Offset was cancelled. I think it was a 3 man project from an interview that I watched and the game was outstanding. It was supposed to take the Skyrim spot but didn't work out for some reason. If I had the funds, I'd get another PS3 and play Alice 2. I got to test it for a minute at a friends house. GORGEOUS. Not to mention I'm an avid Alice in Wonderland fanatic.
Dragonmaster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: [quote]

I'm thinking The Last Story will be worthwhile.
Goto page Previous  1, 2 

Jump to: