RPGDXThe center of Indie-RPG gaming
Not logged in. [log in] [register]

View previous topic - View next topic  
js71
Wandering DJ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Worlds Beyond (+Kickstarter!) [quote]

We've been quietly working on this project for some time now, putting a lot of hours into it over the past... well, significant amount of time. Today we can finally show the results of our work, as we've finished the debut trailer and have a Kickstarter campaign going live within the next few days (finding the free time to work on this dream of ours is become more and more difficult).

Here's our debut trailer (all in-game assets):

The game also has a project page here on RPGDX, though I can't seem to upload an icon or screenshots (I get a huge ugly PHP error when I do). Anyone know what's up with that?

Here's the project page, which has a short synopsis:

http://rpgdx.net/showgame.php?project_id=425

Story synopsis

The universe has collapsed into an endless blue void, solid and featureless. Somewhere, there is a small pocket of existence where things continue normally, where the people wonder if there are others out there like them... Trapped in the lonely, featureless expanse of nothingness. But genius remains, and a small order known as the Ysk discover a crude way of extracting power from the Edge of the World. With this discovery, however, things quickly spiral out of control... And into new and dangerous territory. The story follows Cody, an orphan and farmhand, and his childhood friend Kira as they trace a growing conspiracy involving the Ysk, their strange technology, and concepts that may shatter their little world forever.

Technology details

The current engine is written in CoffeeScript and is interpreted by Google's v8 JavaScript engine with a thin C++ scaffolding to provide access to I/O, graphics, sound, etc. Windows and Linux versions are currently running, with a Mac version planned for the game's release as well. Since the engine is written in script, extensive modding is a possibility. The engine should run wherever v8 will run -- at least everywhere Chrome web browser will run. Ports like JS.NET open up the possibility of bringing the engine to XBox, as well as possibly other platforms through other v8 ports.

The team

Bridge Unit Orzo consists of myself (All visuals, writing, and all audio for Worlds Beyond) and Ruben Rodriguez (All programming, tools & engine design, scripting, additional input). We grew up on games of the late 80s and 90s, mostly RPGs and adventure games whose influence we've carried with us since.

The screenshots!

I really recommend you watch that trailer above -- we put a ton of work into it! -- but if you're just looking for a quick glimpse at what this project looks like, here are some in-engine screenshots:

Again, our Kickstarter campaign is in the works and just about ready to go live. Keep an eye out for the link when it drops!

Thanks for checking this project out, it means a lot to us and we really hope to be able to show you even more soon. :)
TheSuddenFire
I wanna be a ballerina!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: () [quote]

Some of that looks cool like those tripod enemy things but in the forest, that looks a lot like one of the Final Fantasy tilesets.
Scholar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: [quote]

Wow, very nice. I love the art style. The whole thing looks very polished. Looking forward to seeing more development from this.

Great job guys. :D
BadMrBox
Bringer of Apocalypse

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: [quote]

It looks awesome Josiah :P. I really liked the trailer.

Quote:
The game also has a project page here on RPGDX, though I can't seem to upload an icon or screenshots (I get a huge ugly PHP error when I do). Anyone know what's up with that?
That function of the site is out of memory.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: )( [quote]

I just watched the trailer via YouTube (and commented/liked) and I have to say I'm totally impressed. The art, the music, the text effects, the look of that "stone lab/bad dream" room, it all looks kickass. I love how the enemies move around while you're fighting them. I want to play this.
Dragonmaster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:06 am    Post subject: [quote]

BadMrBox wrote:

Quote:

Not meaning to rush, but something needs to be done about that.
BadMrBox
Bringer of Apocalypse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: [quote]

tcaudilllg wrote:
BadMrBox wrote:

Quote:

Not meaning to rush, but something needs to be done about that.

If I could I would have done something about it a long time ago but I can't. Neither can Nod or Terry. It's on Bjorn's plate.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:11 am    Post subject: [quote]

Thanks all! Really appreciate the comments. :)

We're just waiting for our Kickstarter to be approved, should be live within the next few days. In the meantime, you should check out our site, where you can find some interesting content including backstory, characters, monsters, etc... It's all quite basic at the moment, but we'll be fleshing things out more in the immediate future so keep checking back!
js71
Wandering DJ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:37 am    Post subject: [quote]

Hey, check it out -- our Kickstarter just went live! We'll be doing a ton of promotion in the month to come.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2004110145/worlds-beyond-classic-retro-rpg-about-the-end-of-t
Nodtveidt
Demon Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: [quote]

Arg... amazon payments. :( They require a credit card.
Dragonmaster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: [quote]

I disagree with the $25 dollar reward, assuming it will mean a bunch of yahoos it to say stupid crap that has no relation to the game. Beyond that, fine line between unpaid work and reward, here. I get the impression you are charging people to work on your game. That is totally not cool.
js71
Wandering DJ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: [quote]

tcaudilllg wrote:
I disagree with the $25 dollar reward, assuming it will mean a bunch of yahoos it to say stupid crap that has no relation to the game. Beyond that, fine line between unpaid work and reward, here. I get the impression you are charging people to work on your game. That is totally not cool.

I'm not sure what you mean about the $25 reward, but we are not charging people to 'work on our game.' If you're referring to the rewards that allow people to design their own NPC or boss, that's all extra content, we aren't taking people's money and then getting them to design major parts of the game.

Sorry you feel that way. Your accusation does sting a bit, honestly. Lots of other Kickstarter projects have featured similar rewards.

Nodtveidt: Sorry, I don't think there's much we can do about alternate payment methods. :( From what I've read, Kickstarter uses Amazon Payments exclusively.
cha0s
Egg-Sucking Troll Humper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: [quote]

tcaudilllg wrote:

The reward where we offer a high quality soundtrack will allow who to what now?

Anyways if you give us $100,000 you can design the whole game. Take it or leave it!

-Half Baked
tcaudilllg
Dragonmaster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:41 am    Post subject: [quote]

Josiah wrote:
tcaudilllg wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean about the $25 reward, but we are not charging people to 'work on our game.' If you're referring to the rewards that allow people to design their own NPC or boss, that's all extra content, we aren't taking people's money and then getting them to design major parts of the game.

Sorry you feel that way. Your accusation does sting a bit, honestly. Lots of other Kickstarter projects have featured similar rewards.

Nodtveidt: Sorry, I don't think there's much we can do about alternate payment methods. :( From what I've read, Kickstarter uses Amazon Payments exclusively.

That doesn't make it right. If it stings, then maybe the sting is against your conscience.

It doesn't matter. You'll fail. Your art lacks polish and it looks like an uninspired ripoff of CT in some areas. The character portraits look like something out of Beyond the Beyond, and your theme, while potentially groundbreaking, is just too uncomfortable for my cousin to deal with. He's a hardcore gamer who regularly contributes to Kickstarter, so it's not like he's not a potential source of income, either.

$150 dollars to beta-test. Pathetic.

You should have finished the game from the outset and asked RC to help you distribute it. Either way, gender identity stuff is gonna freak people out. For most people, that is always tmi.

Your game is also dramatically over priced. It'll be worth $5.00 tops.

Sorry guys, but the competition is stiff and you aren't offering what the consumer wants, only what you want.
js71
Wandering DJ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:02 am    Post subject: [quote]

Okay. :)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next 

Jump to: