RPGDXThe center of Indie-RPG gaming
Not logged in. [log in] [register]

Opinions wanted: RPG project for Xbox 360

View previous topic - View next topic  
Nodtveidt
Demon Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Opinions wanted: RPG project for Xbox 360 [quote]

I have a dilemma that I wanted to run past y'all here... I am in the process of resurrecting one of my RPG projects on the Xbox 360. However, I am unsure as to the visual style I want to do for it. I have three main options...

-I could go straight-up 2D. I would use Inquisitor's tilesets, and have someone draw character sprites. This is the easiest way but might make it look too "retro".

-I could go "2.5D" by using a modeling program to pre-render scenes, not unlike FF7. This would give me tons of freedom but also increases the workload considerably, and I will have to have a lot of models prepared for it.

-I could go full-on 3D. Obviously the hardest way, but might be the most visually impressive overall. I lack the skill to design models myself, so I would be completely reliant on someone else.

So... any thoughts on this?
Bringer of Apocalypse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: [quote]

I would say go for 2D (of course). Games like Cthulhu Saves the World and Breath of Death VII seems to sell well enough.

I wouldn't vote out 2.5D either thought.
Maybe you could go with a 3D world and sprites alá Xenogears?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: [quote]

Definitely 2D. 3D is generally ugly unless you've got a full development team backing you, and sometimes even if you do.
tcaudilllg
Dragonmaster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject: [quote]

I'd love to see something in the style of the old games. Copy their technique or whatever. Build on what works. I can't imagine you would fail in this intellectually devastated scenario, unless the game was too simple and repetitive.
Nodtveidt
Demon Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: [quote]

The general consensus, after posting this in two other forums, is to go straight-up 2D... almost no one said 3D, and only a couple of people said 2.5D. So 2D it is. :)
Demon Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject: [quote]

A much as I love messing around with 3D, I'd concur. I've got a couple of back-burnered projects that - once I'm done with Frayed Knights & a related project - will probably be re-visited as either 2D or 2.5D games as well.

Or I guess a better answer is, "If you don't already now the answer, stick with what you know." You are already pushing some boundaries going onto a new platform. Maybe throw some cool new special effects in there to spice things up, but if I were you I'd keep things simple.
Demon Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:35 am    Post subject: [quote]

I'm doing a project prior to this to get my feet wet with the platform... the experience will help greatly for this massive project. :) 2D RPGs are a lot of fun... and it's really easy to fuck up 3D stuff. :(
Mage

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: [quote]

I recommend using 2D sprites with a 3D engine similar to Zelda Four Swords. This would allow for zooming in and out (by the game engine, when appropriate), as well as some other neat effects, which could really enhance the story, action, and gameplay. It will also allow you to take advantage of the hardware 3D acceleration available on the Xbox 360 platform.
tcaudilllg
Dragonmaster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: [quote]

Verious wrote:
I recommend using 2D sprites with a 3D engine similar to Zelda Four Swords. This would allow for zooming in and out (by the game engine, when appropriate), as well as some other neat effects, which could really enhance the story, action, and gameplay. It will also allow you to take advantage of the hardware 3D acceleration available on the Xbox 360 platform.

You mean the Clockwork Knight effect. That's easily done in HTML 5, but how easily in XNA?
Kyper
Fluffy Bunny of Doom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: [quote]

I would stay with 2D and probably do what Verious said regarding a 3D engine.

I'm partial to retro style but I don't thing 2D retro would really work all that well but it's difficult to say without more info on the project.

Good luck with it! :)
tcaudilllg
Dragonmaster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: [quote]

I wouldn't bother doing low res if you have any access to artistic talent at all. You know, you can do the graphics in low res and use Paint.net plugins to filter then to higher res.

Jump to: